Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Rakia, Bulgarian Wine and Bulgarian Snacks in America!



SofiaUSA.com

I think I've died and gone to heaven.  After my trip to Chicago, I started looking to for a company that ships Rakia or Wine to Kentucky (where I'm living now). Sofia Liquor USA is a store in the greater Chicago metropolitan region that sells Bulgarian wines, liquors and snacks. And it ships too!

I've actually never bought Rakia or Bulgarian Schnapps or Brandy. Since I live in a small town with many friends, I always was treated to Rakia from my friends from their own personally distilled spirits. Called Domashna (homemade) Rakia, it packs a much stronger punch than its much more refined cousins sold in stores. Running around 50-55 percent alcohol, Domashna Rakia is much more akin to moonshine or a very strong whisky. The store bought Rakia is roughly 40 percent alcohol. Anyway, Sofia Liqour sells and ships Rakia from its Des Plaines  address. Also, the importers of most Bulgarian spirits are from Des Plaines as well (probably not a coincidence). But if I was forced to pick a Rakia for a guest, I would probably pick Burgas 63 (shown below). Rakia is strong but it has its own grape or plum flavor that lingers after the punch of the strong spirit. Known as Slivovitza in Serbia and throughout most of the Balkans, this spirit is a great cultural treasure of the Balkans--enriched by the traditions of each family making their own spirits for the year to share with friends.



For anyone wanting the extra something in their lentil soup, they used to sell Savory or chubritsa but its currently out of stock:




Most people don't realize this but vafla or wafers covered in chocolate have allowed roughly half of the children in Bulgaria to survive without hunger during schools days and about twenty five percent of all workers in Bulgaria forgo lunch in lieu of the chocolate sugar rush. For anyone wanting to understand the finer points of Vafla, I urge you to look at the documentation other volunteers have made on the subject in a now defunct blog: B22 AllStars: Vafla tag

Regardless, imagine my surprise to see that Sofia Liquor selling the coveted valfa and croissants on their website. From now on when I get my chocolate cravings or I want to have a Bulgarian Party, I'll be be sure to try these guys out. Has anyone used them? Any feedback or comments? Enjoy!



No comments: